What are documents required for a Passport
A Passport is an essential document issued by the government of a particular country of which the holder is a citizen of. A passport entitles the holder to travel to and from foreign countries. In order to apply for a passport in India, you are required to submit several documents. Here is the list of documents that have to be submitted in order to avail a passport:
1) Important Documents Needed for a Fresh Passport
• Address proof – These are the documents that can be submitted as address proof for Passport.
• Voter ID with present address
• Aadhaar card
• Telephone bill with current address
• Gas connection
• Bank passbook
• Rental agreement (If staying in a rented house)
• Income Tax Assessment order
• Water bill or Electricity bill with current address
• Certificate from employer on a letterhead with a seal and signature
• Passport of the spouse
• Parents’ passport
• Age proof – These are the documents that can be submitted as age proof for passport
• Birth certificate issued by municipal authority or some other authorized office
• School leaving certificate/Secondary school leaving certificate
• Certificate sworn before a magistrate
2) Important Documents Required for a Minor Passport
If parents wish to get passport for minors, the following documents need to be produced.
•Current address proof in the name of the parent(s)
•Original and self-attested copies of the parents’ passport
•Documents of the minor will have to be attested by parents.
•Until the minor is 18 years old, he/she will be eligible for Non-ECR passport wherein Emigration check is not required.
•A Declaration confirming the details mentioned in the application about the minor applicant as per Annexure ‘D’.
3) Important Documents Required for a Diplomatic Passport
•A valid identity card of the applicant or that of the Head of Office
•A certificate that has been issued by the Head of Office
•An Official Request Letter from the Forwarding Officer
•PMO or Political Clearance Certificate, if needed
4) Important Documents Required for a Existing Passport
•Official or Diplomatic Passport (in reissue applications) – Original Diplomatic or Official Passport for cancellation. In case this is kept in the custody of the Ministry of External Affairs, the original Safe Custody or Surrender Certificate will have to be provided. In case this has been cancelled by the Ministry of External Affairs, the Original Cancellation Certificate will have to be provided.
•Ordinary Passport – Certificate of Safe Custody
In case an official is retiring is less than 6 months from the application date, he/she will have to provide an undertaking from his/her office that the Diplomatic or Official Passport will be given to the office as soon as he/she returns.
The documents must be placed in the order given below –
•Printed copy of online filled application form
•Political or PMO clearance
•Copy of identity card
•Certificate from the Head of Office
•Request from a Forwarding Officer
•Other necessary documents